You have probably already gotten through all your boxsets and caught up on all your reading/housework/DIY this week so we’ve decided to put some activities together to keep you all busy during this time of self isolation.
Being a glass half full lot we think that if we actually had the time on our hands to do stuff during this time then what better way than to use the time to upskill. For companies closed or struggling with reduced workload its the perfect chance to upskill your staff. For those who are in other industries who are in shutdown currently – take a look at the free or affordable online training options.
So this week to get you started, if you love Data (and who doesn’t? .. or are we just geeks!) take a look at some of the training courses below. This is only a teaser list there are plenty of more specialist groups out there who you can speak to if you are looking to transfer into this area.
Is a core data language especially for statistical analysis
Databases (& SQL)
The basics of all data storage and learning how to store, manage and retrieve data. It’s worth having an understanding as it underlies most tools that you may use in most jobs.
This is about understanding what the data means and putting it into a format to allow you to present findings in a meaningful manner. Google analytics is a great example of data sets and understanding how people use your websites for example.
Is the language in vogue currently – mainly because it has the main AI (Artificial intelligence liraries in it). Great for data and a great language to have on your CV.
We have a bigger list of online training support on our training page here so take a look and get learning!
These are currently all being postponed so Kunneir Dufort will move to October and Xmos to November we hope.
Free Three Fridays (f3F)
We will move these to remote for the next period. Please keep an eye out for the updates and if you would like to meet up individually during this period (all members) please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try and arrange a meeting or a remote call.
We advertise any conference details we spot on our conference page – we’ll give you highlights here (our events and ones with offers come first and loudest obviously!)
Currently, we will turn this into a list of the status of the conferences:
- ACCU 2020 CANCELLED – returns in 2021
- 9th ACCIS CDT and 1st CoSEM CDT Annual Conference POSTPONED
- KNOWLEDGE FLOW: Building bridges between science & community – CANCELLED
- Nuclear engineering for safety, control and security – IET have announced all events CANCELLED until June currently
- 50th Intelligent Sensing Program POSTPONED
- NIHR Bristol Biomedical Research Centre Scientific Away Day 2020 – UNKNOWN but its at the watershed which is currently closed
- NIHR ARC West launch – CANCELLED (link no longer available)
- Changing the World Through Sustainable Technologies — POSTPONED
- Cobot Automation Tour 2020 | Bath – POSTPONED
- I’ll Be Back South West: March 2020 POSTPONED
- Digital Gaggle Conference – 23rd of April UNKNOWN (its another watershed hosted event see above)
- Pixel Pioneers Bristol – 12th June – still selling tickets
- The Fourth International Workshop on Socio-gerontechnology by NIHR Bristol Biomedical Research Centre – June the 29th UNKNOWN – its university hosted so we assume it will be depenednt on status at the time
- GW4 Water Security Alliance 2020 Annual Conference – July the 2nd Currently still taking registrations
This Week’s happenings
District 0 – ONLINE
Not everything is doom and gloom – some events that were previously charged conferences are free and online now, so you can attend with no travel (silver linings!!). Some may be in the country native language and please also check the timezones!
Monday the 23rd
- Summit 2020: brands & the disinformation reality | LIVE STREAM
- [Android Advanced] Topic #4 – Testing
- Webinar: Extreme Domain-Driven Design Modelling – Tech Talk by Nexten
Tuesday the 24th
- Deep learning 3: Convolutional neural networks
- VIRTUAL EVENT talks.dev (Back-end) Montreal
- Virtual Meetup – How the JVM Executes Java: Evolving Compilation with Graal
- Linaro Tech Days 2020 (24th – 26th)
- Cyber Attacks and Cryptography
- Webinar – INTELLIGENZA ARTIFICIALE: amica o nemica per la tua impresa? (Italian)
- R, Python, Julia: do you known them all?
- Introducción al UX/ UI y al Design Thinking (Spanish)
Wednesday the 25th
- [VIRTUAL] IBM Workshop – Explore UK Crime Data with Pandas and GeoPandas
- Netguru Hangout: chill.js (digital edition)
- Women in Data Science 2020 Kingston
- Empirical Assessment of Privacy Risks in Data
- Web Dev 101 at Juno College (Live Online)
- [Virtual] Women in Tech Panel | Flatiron School San Francisco
- Women Take Tech: Panel | Houston
- The Big Data Opportunity: How to get a centralised view of your data
Thursday the 26th
- Machine Learning School in Seville 2020
- Berlin – Web Scraping and Proxy Management Online Hands-on Workshop
- LARGER THAN LIFE SCIENCE | Thinking Ahead
- Neo4j GraphTour Digital – France (french)
- Data science for fun and impact – how to maintain motivation (webinar)
- EIT Engineering Webinar – March 2020
- aOS Online n°2 – 26 mars 2020 (french)
- Data Lake Serverless en AWS en minutos (Spanish)
- DevOps for Salesforce
- Pathways to Technology: A Virtual Panel with Women in Tech at Relativity
- Thinkful Webinar | Intro to Data Analytics: Excel Basics
Friday March the 27th
- 2020 Charlottesville Women In Data Science Conference
- Gen/D Weekly ONLINE: ¿Diseño centrado en DATA? (Spanish)
Saturday the 28th
- NSA Python study group
- AI Hack Day Warm-Up – Brisbane (its 9am so its a late evening start if there are any night owls!))
District 1 – Bristol
Wednesday the 25th
- [ONLINE] Zoom virtual co-working session by Bristol Co-Workers REMOTE
- DO AT HOME: Self-paced peer-supported study session by Bristol Data Science and Machine Learning Study Group REMOTE
- Clojure Programming Group (Playing with Python AI GPT2) by Bristol Clojurians REMOTE
Thursday the 26th
- MuleSoft Meetup in Bristol @ TechWorks Deloitte (TechHub) – 26th March 2020 by Bristol MuleSoft Meetup Group ? the link is no longer live, the meetup is taking registrations and manchester is running their remotely (We suspect this is postponed)
- Virtual Event: ProductTank Bristol #20 by ProductTank Bristol REMOTE
- Bristol Games Hub Anti-Social by Bristol Games Hub Antisocial (they are pretty antisocial and there are no details about the meetup or whether its remote or not – pretty true to their name!!)
Did we miss anything?
If you have any events that you want us to mention on our next
As a suggestion from one of our lovely members (Thanks Gabs #1!), we have also set up a “buymeacoffee” page for those wanting to give us a small thank-you. Check it out here.
Women’s Tech Hub products
Our Candidates page advertises the skillsets of the women we have looking for roles in the area (and some of our male allies).
We have a Jobs Board for those wanting to advertise specifically to our members in the area – check it out here.
If you want to engage with our members, advertise your companies and share any jobs then you can support us by sponsoring the Workshop Wednesdays – details here.