Career guidance: What does a Data Scientist do and how to become one
26 Jun 2023, 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Data science continues to rise as one of the most in-demand career paths in technology today.The data science field is interdisciplinary and integral to society’s basic functions, such as restocking grocery stores, tracking political campaigns, and keeping medical records. In 2020, IBM predicted that there would be 2.7 million open jobs across data science and related careers and that there would be a 39 percent growth in employer demand for data scientists and data engineers.
Join the Women Who Code panel as they discuss their experience of using data science tools and their benefits in their careers. Working from use case examples, we will review:
- What is Data Science?
- How to use open source technology resources to address a business use-case
- How to get started in Data Science.
## Speaker Profile
Dr. Aamani Budhota, Senior Data Scientist at Alio
Aamani, our WWC Edinburgh organizer comes with 10 years of experience in Digital Health and Wearable Technology. She works on the research and development of software devices in developing machine learning algorithms in predictive and preventive care. In her talk, she will walk you through the day of a data scientist, a data project life cycle, what are the different ‘data x’ roles and what might suit you.
Dr Amrutha Haridas MBBS MRCP PGDip
Dr. Amrutha is a medical doctor with 7 years of clinical experience in the NHS and abroad. She is currently pursuing a Master’s degree in health data science, due to be completed in September this year. She is interested in working with health tech companies to make data-driven decisions using vast clinical experience and data science knowledge.
Dr.Amrutha will be presenting on her journey from a healthcare provider to a data science professional.
## Why you should attend:
- Ever wondered what a Data Scientist role entails and how can you become one? This workshop will present with an opportunity to know more about this
- Connect and network with other members of the WWCode community.
- Experience first-hand knowledge from professionals from diverse backgrounds who have navigated their careers utilizing Data Science tools
## Pre-reqs & Preparation
- This class is taken completely online, and requires a computer and a strong internet connection.
- We will provide a link to the zoom meeting in the meetup link