We are an impact-driven financial technology company. Our vision to empower all investors to know where their money is going and to use their shareholder’s voice.
What we believe
We believe the modern shareholder ownership system is broken. Trillions of pounds are invested every year by people who don’t even know what investment means, where their money is going, how it affects the world or their financial outcome, or what they can do about any of that.
We believe investors in the stock market (pension members, retail investors and asset owners, like trustees) should be aware of and connected to the companies they are invested in; should have influence and a voice at those companies; should have access to their shareholder rights. We believe big companies have the power to break or make our planet. What shareholders demand, and hold them accountable for, really matters.
Big change takes time but we are patient and ambitious in equal measure; influencing the system, building a movement, empowering the world. Our mission is to build and scale the technology to make that possible.
What we do
We partner with UK’s largest investment and pension platforms, empowering them to provide their investors with transparency over the companies they own and a shareholder voice on issues they care about, like gender equality, human rights or climate change. We build APIs and beautiful user interfaces to deliver a totally unique user experience. We give platforms better engagement, acquisition and retention, coupled with the power to create a sustainable investment system for us all.
We’re a close-knit, ambitious team. We’re based mostly in and around the South West. We work in an agile manner; championing transparency and flexibility while prioritising open communication. We love food, rounders, board games and team trips (everything from canvas painting to cliff jumping in Devon).
- We do our best work to achieve our vision
- We pull together to achieve more for users & customers
- We are masters of prioritisation
- We adapt relentlessly
- We give each other feedback to move each other forwards
- We trust each other to drive towards success
You’ll be working with some stellar technologies including React, TypeScript, NodeJS, Open API, Terraform, Amazon Cognito, the Google Cloud Platform, GitLab CI, as well as having the opportunity to work with Golang, gRPC-based microservices, and Kubernetes.
This role is focused on the front-end elements of our offerings, our consumer-facing platform: a user-focused and interactive dashboard that is whitelabeled and delivered on on our partners behalf to provide end users with transparency and voting on their investments.
Enticing? Want to hear more? Well, in 2-week sprint cycles you will:
- Work in an agile team, actively participating in scrum-based ceremonies; in story writing and refinement and help to translate business requirements into usable stories.
- Contribute significantly to the architecture definition, design, development, testing and maintenance of our consumer-facing dashboard and back-office web portal.
- Ensure the software is appropriately tested at all stages of the development and deployment cycles, including identifying opportunities for making our test and CI processes ever more effective and efficient, and you will help with the implementation of improvements to those systems.
- Significantly contribute to the growth of our team and the direction of our product.
Who you are
- You encapsulate our company values.
- You have a passion for building beautiful and usable web front-end applications that delight and empower consumers.
- You’re a hands-on developer who loves to get stuck in and get stuff done.
- You are passionate about software development and enthusiastic about products you work on, especially about learning new stuff and pushing your own boundaries.
- You love working collaboratively in a small team and are a brilliant, proactive communicator.
- You want to build a product that will delight the user.
- You value giving and receiving constructive and honest feedback.
- You have the flexible attitude required in a start-up environment, with the willingness to adapt your role and work to our needs as we grow.
- When time allows, you are reflective and dream big. But you’re a speedy worker who can handle high pressure and a quick turn around when deadlines are tight
- You have a demonstrable passion for social, environmental and/or governance issues.
- You have the right to work in the UK with fluent spoken and written English
These are desirable rather than essential criteria. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified below and you think you can rock the role, we’d still love to learn more about you.
- A solid understanding of the fundamentals of computer science having completed further education in comp sci or similar, or with equivalent commercial experience.
- You have worked in agile, fast-paced teams, building new-to-market digital products.
- You have a good working knowledge of React and TypeScript, ideally having used both successfully in a commercial environment, though we are also open to strong developers from other backgrounds who are eager for an opportunity to extend these skills.
- You have a good knowledge of RESTful API design and Swagger/Open API.
- You have some experience in the deployment and management of highly scalable websites.
- You have a strong interest in testing including TDD & BDD and an enthusiasm for CI and automation.
- You have an understanding of a variety of databases (SQL, NoSQL and/or GraphDBs).
- You have some experience with DevOps, Terraform, GCP and/or AWS.
We recognise that there are lots of opportunities available to software engineers, however
working here, you’ll grow more than you would anywhere else; you will join a team who will
appreciate you every day; your contributions will genuinely change our business outcomes;
and you will be proud to make a lasting, positive impact on the global investment system. And
with that, we hope to hear from you!
The finer detail:
There’s plenty of work for this role to be full time, but if you need something different please apply anyway. We have a super flexible working culture: the team is online and available from 10 – 3, Monday – Friday (save for lunch or sport breaks) and can work whenever they like outside of that. We have office space in Bristol that gets used regularly but coming in is totally optional. All we ask is that everyone comes together once per month, usually in Bristol, for a team social and strategy day (arranged well in advance and especially fun). We have a super flexible culture and our team have lots of different things going on outside of work that we want to help them balance. However, as you might expect at a fast-growing start-up, it’s high adrenaline and hard work here. We pay competitively for our team’s contributions and have a generous company share scheme so we are all owners of the company and beneficiaries of our collective success. We have a 5% employer pension contribution and a flexible holiday policy of 33 days, including bank holidays, which we’ll make sure you get to enjoy. Our culture is very autonomous and you’ll be empowered to work on what and how you like to generate results. If you’re self-determined and want to be accountable to your team, instead of a line manager, this role is for you.
- Initial application
- First interview
- Task & presentation
- Second interview
There will be opportunities to ask questions throughout. If this sounds like a bit of you and if you are excited to ride this rollercoaster alongside us, then please apply!
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.