This company is an arts-based charity looking to grow their in-house software team, they are ethical, support inhouse training where appropriate, and are flexible about remote working and on hours. The office is London but they are happy to have someone remote working from Bristol.
We are looking for a candidate with an excellent understanding of the technical delivery aspects of agile product development & support, who can be responsible for the technical quality of software products. The Solutions Developer will assist the Product Director in the delivery of this transformation through the development of new products as well as technical support and enhancement of existing products. As required, they will design, develop and liaise with internal and external members of our development teams in the creation of new products and significant integrations to efficiently and effectively build and maintain great products that add sustainable value in terms of revenue.
This role would suit an organised, creative, and industrious software developer who:
- has good understanding and experience of the support and maintenance of software and data processing applications within a product environment;
- has experience of effectively developing and maintaining SaaS/PaaS products and services;
- has knowledge and experience of agile product development approaches, (as well as knowledge/experience of working with waterfall approaches);
- wants to develop their career in a product-centric path;
- wants a technical opportunity with responsibility, including mentoring of colleagues.
Job Description and Person Specification
|Reporting to||Product Director|
|Responsible for||Providing excellent full-stack software development and technical support capabilities, the Solutions Developer supports the Product Director in the delivery of The Company’s product strategy.
Helping to implement The company’s product roadmap by supporting operational delivery, maintenance and development of products & platform. Achieving this by maintaining existing products and working with colleagues and external development teams on new products and integrations.
|Contract||Initial 2-year contract|
|Salary Range||Up to maximum £50,000 for FTE depending on experience, but also flexible hours considered pro-rata.|
The Company is the national not-for-profit organisation supporting cultural organisations to understand and grow their audiences. They provide advice, intelligence, and ideas for cultural organisations planning to increase and engage audiences. They work with arts, museums, heritage and other cultural organisations across England, to offer practical support and an unrivaled body of audience intelligence.
The Company is a learning organisation and all staff are required to:
- Take an active part in all team planning, learning, and training;
- Train and coach other members of the team as required;
- Share internally the insights and learning gained from research projects and client work;
- Contribute to developing a cross-functional, collaborative style of working;
- Be aware of and act within the company’s Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies;
- Be aware of the company’s values and to conduct activity in their spirit.
- Background to the Post
The Company is a leading force in the development of an intelligent data culture in the arts, culture, and heritage sectors. Funded by Arts Council England, through providing commercial Business Intelligence (BI) services to the arts & cultural sector, it operates one of the largest cultural data programmes in the world, with nearly 1,000 organisations using their products to improve data-driven business, marketing, and audience development decision making and activity.
They are undertaking an ambitious transformation, positioning themselves as a leading provider of software-as-a-service and data-as-a-service, driving collaboration and innovation across the cultural sector.
Summary of Role
The Solutions Developer will assist the Product Director in the delivery of this transformation through the development of new products as well as technical support and enhancement of existing products. As required, they will design, develop and liaise with internal and external members of their development teams in the creation of new products and significant integrations to efficiently and effectively build and maintain great products that add sustainable value in terms of revenue.
You will need to understand the technical delivery aspects of agile product development & support and will be responsible for the technical quality of software products. You will help the Scrum Master and Product Director deliver the Product Backlog in order to develop products and services that fulfil The Company’s strategy. An advocate for software quality and data integrity, you will maintain existing products and support the Product Development Team to effectively prioritise, plan, and release version updates, enhancements, integrations, and additional products.
This role would suit an organised, creative and industrious software developer who:
- Has a good understanding and experience of the support and maintenance of software and data processing applications within a product environment;
- Has experience of effectively developing and maintaining SaaS/PaaS products and services;
- Has knowledge and experience of agile product development approaches, (as well as knowledge/experience of working with waterfall approaches);
- Wants to develop their career in a product-centric path;
- Wants a technical opportunity with responsibility, including mentoring of colleagues
Key Result Areas
- Providing technical advice in relation to solutions for new products and integrations of external products into the existing product platform;
- Liaising with internal and external development team members during the design, development, and testing of new products and integrations;
- As appropriate, designing and taking a key role in the development of new products and integrations;
- Designing and playing a key role in the development of planned improvements to existing products;
- Delivering technical product support through effective analysis of detected defects;
- Delivering timely, robust defect resolutions through code-test-release cycles;
- Providing technical advice in relation to solutions for technical debt and other potential improvements;
- Ensuring industry best practice is applied in relation to:
- Systems, applications and data security;
- Data storage and management;
- Configuration and management of production, staging and other environments;
- Coding standards and documentation;
- Technical support & release management;
- Technical support procedures and documentation.
Management of the Team
- Leading the technical support/enhancements elements of the team;
- Providing coaching and mentoring as appropriate to colleagues.
- Liaising closely with the Scrum Master within agile processes such as estimating, prioritising, sprint planning/reviews/retrospectives and backlog grooming;
- Supporting the Scrum Master and other colleagues to optimise efficiency and collaboration within the agile support and development processes;
- Supporting product testing, including usability.
- Liaising with employees and stakeholders (including users) to ensure technical solution designs and features meet user needs;
- Liaising with employees and stakeholders (including users) to clarify and fully understand defects and enhancement requests;
- Working with other company employees to increase the effectiveness of the application of Scrum in the organisation.
- Keep abreast of trends and changes in the sector through continuing professional and personal development.
- Ensure all work undertaken is compliant with GDPR and other relevant legislation
- Model best practice in diversity and inclusion.
- Be aware of The Company’s values and to conduct business in their spirit.
Experience and Knowledge
Knowledge and experience of some of the following technologies:
- Python and Flask/SQLAlchemy or Django
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- SQL & RDBMS, ideally PostgreSQL
- Data warehousing
- Cloud computing, especially AWS and Azure
- Performance profiling
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment
Demonstrable experience in software design and development roles in a technology organisation or technology department;
Demonstrable understanding of the full software development lifecycle, including release management and application support;
Understanding of, or empathy with, the arts, culture, and heritage sector
Skills and Attributes
- Database design and administration;
- Server environment configuration and management;
- Agile product development approaches
- Ability to undertake data & technological analyses
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems
- Ability to work across teams
- Excellent communication skills, including with non-technical staff and teams
- Strong organizational ability
- Ability and willingness to coach and mentor others
Additional Job Details
The post may be undertaken between our London office, working alongside the majority of our Product & Platform Team, and/or working remotely as circumstances and needs dictate. The Solutions Developer may on occasion be required to co-locate with product development team members (usually elsewhere in London). Occasional travel to other parts of the UK may also be required.
Working hours for this role are 35 per week (5 days per week, 7 hours a day), which can be worked flexibly, in agreement. We will also consider applications for the role on a part-time basis. Core office hours are between 10 am – 6 pm daily. The normal working day includes one hour for lunch (unpaid). The Company will try to be flexible and understanding in allowing staff to adopt hours that suit individual circumstances as long as these hours do not affect work effectiveness.
The leave entitlement is 25 days per annum. Public/Bank holidays are in addition to this personal leave entitlement.
The Company has a workplace pension scheme in line with current legislation. You will be provided with details of this scheme directly by the pension provider. Automatic enrolment into this scheme commences after three months in employment. Employees may opt-out of this scheme if desired.
How to apply:
Please provide a CV together with a covering statement (of no more than 2 pages in length) detailing your skills and experience as evidence of how you match the “Person Specification”.
We also ask you to complete a diversity monitoring form with your application.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.