International Women’s Day on the 8th of March and British Science Week from the 6th to the 15th of March – sounds like a week especially made for us. There’s some hashtags out there for you to use #IWD2020 #EachforEqual
International Women’s Day 2020 campaign theme is #EachforEqual
An equal world is an enabled world. Individually, we’re all responsible for our own thoughts and actions – all day, every day. We can actively choose to challenge stereotypes, fight bias, broaden perceptions, improve situations and celebrate women’s achievements. Collectively, each one of us can help create a gender equal world.Let’s all be #EachforEqual.
It’s late notice but the cabinet office did mail us to ask if we could help out (we can’t do much as its a busy week OBS!!) but if anyone else wants to get involved ….
We’d be grateful if you could consider:
- Incorporating #SheWritesHistory (for International Women’s Day) or #BSW (for British Science Week) into your social media posts.
- Directing audiences towards careers advice via bit.ly/science-SW
- Recording a 30-second video featuring a female member of your organisation/network speaking about which a woman who inspires them, or sharing any advice for young people starting out in their careers. Please send this to us and post it on your own channels with #SheWritesHistory.
- We’re equally keen to hear from men, speaking about a woman who inspires them.
- Highlighting any interesting science roles that are non-traditional and challenge perceptions – e.g. Graphic Design Technicians, Sound Engineers etc. using a short video and sharing these with #BSW20.
- If it’s not possible to source or record video, do let us know as images and quotes would be appreciated too.
Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we can intro you
Next Bristol GirlGeekDinners is on the 26th of March
We loved the last one with Candide – note they are holding a pop-up plant shop/swap this week ” Pop-up plant shop for well-being hosted by Candide and LOOF ” and also all those lovely members that are interested in the Candide product (we know there are a few!) then they are happy to take any feedback or suggestions
” Our user testing team would really welcome any feedback sent to email@example.com (in any format; text, screen recording etc.). We also do user testing in the office so if people are keen we can put them on the list 🙂 “
Our next one we are just putting together:
Networking event hosted by the ACCU and sponsored by Bloomberg. Showcasing the local tech groups supporting gender diversity in the region
We are kindly being hosted by the ACCU again this year at their conference and brilliantly sponsored by Bloomberg.
The event will start with a presentation from Bloomberg (Details to be added)
We will then, as we do every year, use the event to give an overview of the GirlGeekDinners events – what we’ve been up to and are in planning for the year. We will also update on Women’s Tech Hub workshops and it’s networking events. Then we will be inviting our partners and collaborators to present what they are up to. KWMC, Ladies that UX, WISE, Bristol Data Science and Machine Learning Study Group, CodeHub, Webdev101, Python Dojo and others ???
This year we have invited other meetups in the area who are looking to increase their Diversity to showcase what they offer.
Currently this is the new South West Business Analysis group, PHPSW, SW mobile and anyone else that comes to us wanting to showcase. Mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to be included.
Did we mention that we have SG Digital sponsoring our next workshop wednesday on the 11th of March – check out our Jobs Board to see what they are recruiting for.
Along with our Peer supported learning/co-working at our Bi-weekly Workshops sessions you can currently sign up for:
- Just popping along for some co-working
- Women’s Tech Hub Python beginners
- Bristol Data Science and Machine Learning Study Group
- CodeHub’s WebDev101
- CodeHub’s Python code dojo
We advertise any conference details we spot on our conference page – we’ll give you highlights here (our events and ones with offers come first and loudest obviously!)
Bristol Symposium on AI and Language – March the 4th
Organised by the Interactive AI Centre of Doctoral Training and the Intelligent Systems Lab this one-day long symposium will examine natural language in AI from a number of different perspectives. This will include aspects of natural language processing, text mining, narrative theories and computational models of language. Invited speaker include: Nello Cristianini, Benjamin Elsworth, Edwin Simpson, Genevieve Liveley, Martha Lewis, and Oliver Davis
Umbraco Spark Innovation Conference 2020 – March the 6th
The Umbraco Spark innovation conference returns on Friday 6th March 2020 at the M Shed in Bristol. The official conference is a must for all Umbraco developers that want to find out what’s going on with Umbraco in 2020 and loads of innovative implementations and ideas.
This Week’s happenings
District 1 – Bristol
Monday the 2nd
- Bristol ID&D meetup #4 — Inclusive research by Bristol Inclusive Design & Development
- Join BBLT for an exclusive UK intro to the Legal Industry project creating …
Tuesday the 3rd
- Hack Night by CodeHub Bristol
- Getting your ML Models ready for the Cloud by IBM Code Bristol
- Q&As & Startup funding and support 101 by Bristol WordPress People
- Come and have a drink with others interested in Bitcoin! by Bristol Bitcoin: Bristol and South West Bitcoin meetup
- Hackspace Event for Robotics Students
- Employment Law Update – Make UK – Bristol
- Digitalisation of manufacturing: business support and funding workshops
Wednesday the 4th
- March’s meetup – Kissy Kissy by Bristol Unity Game Developers Meetup
- Pop-up plant shop for well-being hosted by Candide and LOOF
- Casual Co-working At Prince Street Social by Bristol Co-Workers
- BELT Social #1 by BELT Bristol Education and Learning Technology
- SW/LIT – Digital within the Public Sector by SW/LIT (South West Leaders in Tech)
- Boost Your Business: Branding, PR and Social Media Masterclass! by Bristol Entrepreneurs and Opportunity Seekers
- The what, why & how of…Human impact on the environment!
- Earth 2160
- WINS International Women’s Day (IWD2020) fundraiser
- NIHR Statistics Group: Routine Data in Clinical Trials
Thursday the 5th
- Taster session at Framework by Bristol Co-Workers
- Tech Chat: Networking & Beer by Silicon Gorge – Tech Connect: Networking & Beers
- Head in the Cloud – South West #2 by Head in the Cloud – South West
- #67: Tony Edwards – Beats, Rhymes & Unit tests/Andrew Chaa – event storming
- Symposium – ‘Crowd-sourcing Machine Learning in NMR’
- Minerva Series: The Future of Sustainable Construction
- National Career Guidance Show South (Bristol) 2020
- Better Business: Celebrating International Women’s Day
Friday the 6th
- Our Free Three Friday Careers support and networking by Women’s Tech Hub ~ Bristol
- Data Storage Event – New AI based products that will change your company
- FinTech West Seminar – Women in FinTech
- Mustard Seeds: Each for Equal
District 2 – Bath
Tuesday the 3rd
Did we miss anything?
If you have any events that you want us to mention on our next
Women’s Tech Hub products
Our Candidates page advertises the skillsets of the women we have looking for roles in the area (and some of our male allies).
We have a Jobs Board for those wanting to advertise specifically to our members in the area – check it out here.
If you want to engage with our members, advertise your companies and share any jobs then you can support us by sponsoring the Workshop Wednesdays – details here.